Transport & Mobility

Information Guides
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
Please donate to support local people with physical disabilities. Thank you.


  • Wheelchair Access

    Licensed taxis (Hackney Carriages/Black Cabs) have to be wheelchair accessible. Vehicles offered for Hackney Carriage are constructed in a way as to allow the carriage of disabled persons and will accommodate as a minimum a disabled person. Some of the newer ‘black cabs’ are also fitted with induction loops and intercoms for hearing aid users.

    Hackney Vehicles can be accessed from the taxi ranks which can be viewed on the city centre map. Private hire companies also operate non designated wheelchair accessible vehicles.

    From 6 April 2017 drivers of taxis and private hire vehicles, designated by the local licensing authority as being wheelchair accessible, must comply with the requirements of Section 165 of the Equality Act 2010, unless they have been issued with an exemption certificate.

    You can read the statutory guidance on access for wheelchair users to taxis and private hire vehicles on the government website.

  • Assistance Dogs

    If you travel with an assistance dog they must be allowed into the taxi or minicab with you, unless the driver has an exemption certificate. This can be issued if they have a medical condition made worse by contact with dogs.

    A driver with an exemption certificate will have a ‘Notice of Exemption’ on their vehicle windscreen.

    It is illegal to be charged extra to travel in a taxi or minicab with an assistance dog. Otherwise the driver could be fined up to £1,000.

    The following types of dog can be taken with you in taxis or minicabs:

    • Guide dogs
    • Hearing dogs
    • Assistance dogs trained by Dogs for the Disabled, Support Dogs or Canine Partners

    Taxi and private hire vehicle drivers have been told how to identify assistance dogs. Your assistance dog should wear its harness or identification jacket when you are travelling with it. If an identification card was issued for the dog, this should also be carried.

    Dogs should remain on the floor and under control at all times. If your dog causes any damage to the vehicle, the driver could ask you to pay for it.

  • Report a Problem

    As well as the rules on wheelchairs and assistance dogs, all taxi and minicab drivers must make sure they do not discriminate against you and cannot treat you less favourably than other customers. They should also make any ‘reasonable adjustments’ to their service for you to make your journey easier.

    For further information or guidance on taxi accessibility, or to discuss a complaint, please contact the Peterborough taxi licensing team by Telephone 01733 453491, or Email

Contact Information

Peterborough taxi licensing team:

01733 453491


  • Plan Assistance For Your Journey

    Passenger Assist allows you to request assistance from rail staff for your journey to ensure everyone can travel by train safely, in comfort and with dignity. This includes:

    • Offering a helping hand to navigate the station
    • Support when boarding the train
    • Meeting you from your train and taking you to your next train or the exit
    • Arranging a ramp on or off your train
    • Assistance relating to a non-visible impairment
    • Carrying your bag(s) – up to three items of luggage as per the National Rail Conditions of Travel

    The train company you are travelling with will organise assistance for your entire journey, even if you travel with another train company as part of your journey.

  • How to Request Assistance Via Passenger Assist

    Passenger Assistance by Transreport is an application that allows you to request assistance via your smartphone. You then receive a confirmation email once your request has been checked and confirmed. You can find out more about the app on the Passenger Assistance by Transreport page.

    You can also call for free0800 0223720, or Text60083. For textphone/minicom Dial0845 60 50 600.

    You will need to know the journey you are planning to take and they will connect you to the appropriate train company to confirm your booking request. For text and textphone they will send an instant SMS with the number you need to dial from your textphone unit.

    You can also check if a station has accessible facilities.

  • Wheelchairs on Trains

    On mainline (intercity, suburban and cross-country) trains there is space for your wheelchair. You should put your chair in the space and use the brakes (or switch your wheelchair’s power off) when the train is moving.

  • Disabled Person's Railcard

    If you are eligible you can get up to a third off rail tickets by applying for a disabled person’s railcard. You can use your Railcard as many times as you like. Just make sure to have it with you when you travel.

    • The Railcard discount is valid at any time of the day
    • If you have someone travelling with you, they can get the discount too

    You must provide evidence of a relevant disability when you apply.

  • Report a Problem

    If you are unhappy with the help you get, complain to the train company directly. If you cannot resolve the complaint, you may be able to complain to the Rail Ombudsman. They can only consider complaints about companies that have joined the Rail Ombudsman scheme. Telephone 0330 094 0362, Email, or Visit


  • Notifying the DVLA of a Medical Condition or Disability

    You must tell DVLA if you have a driving licence and:

    • You develop a ‘notifiable’ medical condition or disability
    • A condition or disability has got worse since you got your licence

    Notifiable conditions are anything that could affect your ability to drive safely. They can include:

    • Diabetes or taking insulin
    • Syncope (fainting)
    • Heart conditions (including atrial fibrillation and pacemakers)
    • Sleep apnoea
    • Epilepsy
    • Strokes
    • Glaucoma
  • How to Notify the DVLA

    Check if you need to tell DVLA about your condition to find the forms or questionnaires you need. The address you need is on the forms. There are different forms for different conditions and disabilities. Contact DVLA if you are not sure what to do. You could be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA about a condition that might affect your ability to drive safely. You could also be prosecuted if you have an accident.

  • Surrendering Your Licence

    You must surrender your licence to DVLA if any of the following are true:

    • Your doctor tells you to stop driving for 3 months or more
    • Your medical condition affects your ability to drive safely and lasts for 3 months or more
    • You do not meet the required standards for driving because of your medical condition

    You can apply to get your licence back when you meet the medical standards for driving again.

Blue Badges

  • Blue Badges

    Blue Badges help people with disabilities or health conditions park closer to their destination. You can apply for a badge for yourself, on behalf of somebody else, or an organisation that transports people who need a Blue Badge. The scheme is designed to help severely disabled people to travel independently, as either a driver or passenger, by allowing them to park close to their destination.

  • How to Apply

    In England, Scotland and Wales you can apply online at for a Blue Badge.

    You can contact the Peterborough Blue Badge administration for more information. Telephone 01733 747474 and ask for the Blue Badge department, or Visit

    You automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if you are aged 3 or over and at least one of the following applies:

    • You receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • You receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because you cannot walk more than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component)
    • You are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
    • You receive a War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
    • You have received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
    • You receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points specifically for descriptor E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity, on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress

    If you have any score other than 10 points under descriptor E, in the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity of PIP you may still be eligible for a Blue Badge, but you do not automatically qualify. This includes if you have a higher score of 12. You will have to provide evidence to demonstrate your eligibility, which will be assessed as a part of your application.

  • Where You Can Park

    Blue Badge holders in Peterborough are permitted to park:

    • On double or single yellow lines (where no loading restrictions are in place – indicated by single or double kerb markings) for up to 3 hours
    • For free in on-street pay and display bays for as long as they would like (but not in off-street car parks where normal charges will apply)
    • In limited waiting bays (30 mins, 1 hour, etc…) for as long as they would like
    • In disabled badge holders only bays for as long as stated on the signs, if no time limit is stated on the signs they can park for as long as they would like

    Please note that not all disabled parking bays in private car parks are free for Blue Badge holders. Always check the relevant signs for the rules when you park.

Contact Information

Peterborough Blue Badge Administration:

01733 747474


  • Overview

    The English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) provides bus passes for free travel on most bus services in England for people who are eligible. Passes have to be applied for, they are not issued automatically.

  • Applying

    You can now apply for a disabled person’s bus pass online using this link. Please note, you are still required to upload any supporting documents. Alternatively, Telephone 01733 747474 and ask to be put through to the Travel Choice department who can send out applications by post.

    All passes will be sent by post to your home address within 7-10 working days.

  • Where You Can Use Your Bus Pass

    Your bus pass can be used throughout England on any local bus services (coaches will not accept bus passes but some companies may offer a discount, please check with your service provider). Passes can be used from 9.30am onward and at any time during weekends and bank holidays.

  • Can My Carer Have One?

    Unfortunately, the concessionary fare scheme is not available to carers.

  • Community Link

    Community Link is Peterborough City Council’s urban door-to-door service. It is a wheelchair accessible service for anyone who lives in the urban area of Peterborough and experiences difficulty using standard public transport or who has no access to public transport. The service will collect you from your home, drop you off in the city centre (four days a week) or a supermarket (once a week) and pick you up again for your return journey, approximately two and a half hours later. Additional trips may also be organised on an ad hoc basis.

    • Membership costs £5 per person or £7.50 for a couple per year
    • The additional payment is your fare (similar to a standard bus fare)
    • Concessionary bus passes are accepted on this service

    Additional information

    For a registration form or to make a booking, Telephone The Cambridge and Peterborough Combined Authority on 01223 790149 the line is open from 9am – 5pm, Mondays to Fridays.

    At other times, Email, or leave a message on the answer phone. They currently require 48 hours’ notice of booking.

Contact Information

Travel Choice Department:

01733 747474

Community Link:

01223 790149

Mobility Scooters

  • Overview

    You do not need a licence to drive a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, but you may need to register it. Only certain types can be driven on the road. The law calls these types of vehicles ‘invalid carriages’.

    Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs come in 2 categories:

    • Class 2 invalid carriages’ cannot be used on the road (except where there is not a pavement) and have a maximum speed of 4mph. They do not need to be registered
    • Class 3 invalid carriages’ can be used on the road, with a maximum speed of 4mph off the road, and 8mph on the road. They must be registered, and the user must be over 14 years of age

    Class 3 invalid carriages must have the following features:

    • A maximum unladen weight of 150kg
    • A maximum width of 0.85 metres
    • A device to limit its speed to 4mph
    • A maximum speed of 8mph
    • An efficient braking system
    • Front and rear lights and reflectors
    • Direction indicators able to operate as a hazard warning signal
    • An audible horn
    • A rear view mirror
    • An amber flashing light if it is used on a dual carriageway

    You could be stopped by the police if your class 3 invalid carriage does not have these features.

  • Who Can Use Them

    You can only drive a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair if you:

    • Have trouble walking because of an injury, physical disability or medical condition
    • Are demonstrating the vehicle before it is sold
    • Are training a disabled user
    • Are taking the vehicle to or from maintenance or repair
  • Driving on The Road

    You can only drive on the road in a class 3 invalid carriage. The maximum speed is 8mph.

    You cannot drive on bus lanes, ‘cycle only’ lanes or motorways. Avoid using dual carriageways with a speed limit of over 50mph.

    You must use an amber flashing light for visibility if you use a class 3 invalid carriage on a dual carriageway.

    Road rules

    You must follow the Highway Code if you drive your mobility scooter on the road.

  • Driving on Footpaths And Parking

    All mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs can legally travel at a maximum of 4mph on footpaths or in pedestrian areas. You cannot drive any type of mobility scooter or powered wheelchair on cycle paths marked ‘cycle only’.


    All normal parking restrictions apply to mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs. Your vehicle should not be left on a footpath or pedestrian area on its own if it gets in the way of other pedestrians, including wheelchair users and people with prams or pushchairs.

  • Eyesight Requirements

    There is no legal eyesight requirement to drive mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs, but you should be able to read a car’s registration number from a distance of 12.3 metres (40 feet). You must check that you can still do this regularly.

    You might have to pay compensation if you have an accident and poor eyesight was part of the cause.

  • Vehicle Tax

    You do not have to pay vehicle tax for any mobility scooter or powered wheelchair if it is registered as a ‘class 3 invalid carriage’. Check whether a vehicle is registered as an ‘invalid carriage’ by asking the seller when you buy it.

  • Registration

    When you buy a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, the seller will make you the ‘registered keeper’. This means the vehicle will be in your name. You will get a new vehicle log book (V5C) in the post within 4 weeks of the sale.

    If you do not get a new vehicle log book 4 weeks after the sale, fill in an ‘Application for a vehicle registration certificate’ (V62) and send it to the DVLA.

    Change your name or address

    If you need to change your name or address, fill in section 6 of your vehicle log book and send it to the DVLA.

    If your mobility scooter or powered wheelchair is not a registered vehicle

    Most scooters and wheelchairs will already be registered by the dealer or manufacturer before you buy them.

    If your vehicle is not registered, register it by filling in:

  • Insurance

    You do not need insurance for a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, although it is recommended.

Coach & Patient Travel

  • National Express

    National Express have accessible coaches that have a passenger lift at the front entrance of the coach. The coaches also have onboard manual wheelchairs which are stowed in the luggage hold.

    If you use a wheelchair, have reduced mobility, or would like to arrange any type of assistance, Visit their Contact Centre.

    If you are a wheelchair user and are booking travel in advance or at the time of travel, they need to carry out certain checks to ensure they can provide travel. These include:

    • That the wheelchair is compatible with the space on the coach
    • That the combined weight of the passenger and the wheelchair do not exceed the maximum weight capacity of being lifted by the wheelchair lift
    • That the stops at which the passenger wishes to board and alight the coach are accessible stops at which the wheelchair lift can be deployed

    That the particular coach on which the passenger wishes to travel is not fully booked

    You are not required to book in advance, however they recommend that you Telephone them on 03717 81 81 81 (lines open 9am-5pm, 7 days a week, local rates) 36 hours in advance of travel to give them time to carry out these checks. If you wish to book travel on the day they will make all reasonable efforts to carry out these checks on the day. If all checks are clear, they will be able to complete the booking.

    National Express also have a disabled person’s discount card to offer a third off travel prices. For more information Visit

    To find out more about the code of practice and travel details for disabled passengers Visit

  • Patient Transport

    Patient transport services are responsible for transporting people to and from hospital appointments. NHS trusts contract transport providers who organise and provide transport for their patients. Examples of people who are eligible for patient transport are:

    • People whose condition means they need additional medical support during their journey
    • People who find it difficult to walk
    • Parents or guardians of children who are being transported

    Each NHS Trust has its own procedure for arranging transport. Many trusts require either a GP or hospital doctor to authorise the booking of transport. The best advice is to mention to your GP at the time of your referral that you might need transport to and from the hospital. If you are already a hospital patient then check with your hospital doctor how you go about arranging transport.

    Many Patient Transport services will ask you a series of questions over the phone to assess your eligibility for the service. These questions can include if you can use public transport, if you have a Blue Badge, or whether you have a Motability vehicle or a family member with a car. Please consider your responses to these questions carefully as they will determine whether you will be allocated Patient Transport.

    For more information Visit

  • The Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme

    If you need help with the cost of transport to an appointment, you may be eligible to claim a refund under the ‘Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme’ (HTCS). The HTCS provides financial support for travel costs to NHS premises for NHS-funded treatment or diagnostic tests arranged by a doctor or dentist.


    To qualify for help with travel costs under the HTCS, you must meet 3 conditions:

    • At the time of your appointment, you or your partner (including civil partners) must receive one of the qualifying benefits or allowances listed on this page, or meet the eligibility criteria for the NHS Low Income Scheme
    • You must have a referral from a healthcare professional to a specialist or a hospital for further NHS treatment or tests (often referred to as secondary care)
    • Your appointment must be on a separate visit to when the referral was made. This applies whether your treatment is provided at a different location (hospital or clinic) or on the same premises as where the GP or another health professional issued the referral

    You can claim travel costs for your children if 2 or 3 of the above conditions apply to them and you are in group 1 above at the time of the appointment.

    You can claim help with travel costs if you or your partner (including civil partner) receive any of the following benefits:

    • Income Support
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Working Tax Credit (WTC) with Child Tax Credit (CTC)
    • WTC with a disability element or a severe disability element
    • CTC but you are not eligible for WTC
    • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
    • You receive Universal Credit and meet the criteria

    You can also claim for help with travel costs if:

    • You are named on, or entitled to, an NHS tax credit exemption certificate (if you do not have a certificate, you can show your award notice). You qualify if you get child tax credits, working tax credits with a disability element (or both), and have income for tax credit purposes of £15,276 or less
    • You have a low income and are named on certificate HC2 (full help) or HC3 (limited help) – to apply for this certificate, you should complete the HC1 form: claim for help with health costs, which is available from your local hospital, Jobcentre Plus offices or the NHS print contract order line on 0300 123 0849
    • Patients who are not in receipt of a qualifying benefit but are on a low income and whose savings are £16,000 or less (or £23,250 or less if in a care home, or £24,000 or less if residents in Wales) may be eligible for assistance with their NHS travel expenses

    Application and further info

    To find out what method of transport you can use, where to apply, how to claim a refund, and where to find support, Visit

Contact Information

National Express:

03717 81 81 81

Other Help

  • Motability

    The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to use their mobility allowances to obtain a car, powered wheelchair or scooter plus insurance, servicing, tyre replacement, and breakdown cover. Adapted and wheelchair accessible vehicles are available.

    Most Motability members choose to pay a monthly fee to hire a new car every three years with insurance, road tax, servicing, tyres and breakdown cover included. If you are accepted onto the scheme you will be asked to pay all or part of your allowance to Motability for the period of the hire agreement.

    Almost half of the customers on the Contract Hire Car Scheme simply transfer their allowance to Motability for the period of the agreement, without any additional payment. However, if you opt for a large or expensive vehicle you may have to pay more. Motability may also be able to offer financial help to assist with such needs as the cost of the advance payment for a suitable car, adaptations, driving lessons or a wheelchair accessible vehicle.


    You are eligible if you receive either:

    • The Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    • The Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)


    Please visit the contact page of Motability to find out more information about available vehicles, adaptations and services. Telephone 0300 456 4566, or Visit

    Specialist Minicom equipment users – textphone number on 0300 037 0100

    You can also speak to Motability via BSL interpreter

  • Transport For All

    Transport for All (TfA) is a pan-impairment organisation, focusing on transport for people with disabilities.

    Tfa have an Access, Rights, Advice team that can offer help with:

    • Getting advice on applying for concessions such as the Freedom Pass or Blue Badge
    • Making appeals if an application is turned down
    • Making a complaint about problems you are facing while travelling (such as being refused access to a bus or no support at a railway station)
    • Help in planning your journey around London
    • Advice about your rights when travelling in London

    You can also contact them with your views, ideas and concerns regarding accessible travel.

    Connector Groups

    Tfa have Connector Groups that are designed to bring together the leading voices in access, disability, transport and inclusion, to enable a community of people with similar goals to work together in a more strategic and effective way.

    For more information, Telephone 020 7737 2339, Email, or Visit

More Information

Skip to content