Equipment & Adaptations

Information Guide
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
Please donate to support local people with physical disabilities. Thank you.

Getting Assessed

  • Getting Assessed

    The local council will support you if you are disabled and need equipment to keep you safe and independent at home. They will ensure you get the correct equipment yourself or may pay the cost of loaning larger equipment if they assess it will make day-to-day living easier. You can contact Adult Social Care for more information on assessments on 01733 747474, or Visit their website for more information Peterborough City Council Assessments.

  • Hearing Impairment Equipment

    If you have a hearing impairment, hearing aids are available through the NHS Hearing Aids, please speak to your GP for more information.

  • Blind or Partial Sighted Equipment

    If you are blind or partially sighted, the council will provide a Rehabilitation Worker who may supply items such a white stick and/or cane, a timepiece, equipment to help you with signing and writing, a money sorter, a liquid level, a pill sorter, basic sunglasses and eye droppers. Please contact Adult Social Care for more information
    01733 747474

    Hand magnifiers and complex glasses can be prescribed by the hospital at the Low Vision Clinic, an Ophthalmic Consultant will refer you to the service.
    01733 678000

    RNIB has a technology resource hub with information about different types of assistive technology and products that can help you RNIB Tech Useful Products. Visit

    Independent Age
    Independent Age also offers information on age related sight loss. Visit

Equipment For Your Home

  • Technology Enabled Care (TEC)

    Technology enabled care (TEC) is for equipment and technology to help adults stay independent.

    The TEC team at Peterborough City Council can provide a range of equipment, including the following:

    • Epilepsy detectors
      Detectors are usually used overnight under the mattress of your bed but there are alternative options which you can wear. Alerts can be raised via a pager or a smart device.
    • Door alarms
      If you have a cognitive impairment, door alarms can help to ensure your safety by notifying someone else if you go through a door.
    • Home activity sensors
      Motion detectors to check on the movements and activity of a person.
    • Falls Detector
      You can wear these devices alongside a community alarm pendant. The falls detector can raise an alert independently of the wearer to indicate that there may have been a fall.
    • Home safety
      This includes smoke or flood detectors to raise alerts remotely when activated. Other solutions include panic buttons and smart doorbells.

    Call the council on 01733 7474747, or Visit their TEC webpage

  • Nebulizers

    Nebulizers are not usually provided by the NHS but some charities can provide funding, such as NARA, Telephone 01604 494960, or Visit

Contact Information

Technology Enabled Care:

01733 7474747


01604 494960

Safety In Your Own Home

There are some useful services that help you to remain safe and independent at home, along with the council’s Adult Social Care.
  • Rehabilitation Services

    Hospital Occupational Therapists can provide solutions to living safely at home, visit the webpage for more information This is relevant both during a hospital stay Inpatient Services: 01733 673671 and upon your return home Outpatient Services: 01733 673555.

  • LifeLine Cross Keys Homes

    Cross Keys Homes has a LifeLine service, which offers an alarm you can press 24 hours a day for assistance and is available from just £0.44 per day. Benefits include:

    • Round the clock support
    • Reassurance for friends and family
    • Fast action in emergencies
    • Choice of additional support

    Extra LifeLine Support
    You can also get extra monitors, which let the trained team know if you have a problem, including:

    • SOS wristbands
    • Smoke and heat detectors
    • Carbon Monoxide detectors
    • Secure key safes for emergency access
    • Flood detectors
    • Fall monitoring
    • Motion detectors
    • Property exit sensors
    • Epilepsy monitoring
    • Medication reminders

    Telephone 01733 396439, or Visit

Contact Information

Rehabilitation Services:

01733 673671

LifeLine Cross Key Homes:

01733 396439

Getting About

Children’s Equipment

  • Support From the Local Authority

    The Local Authority is responsible for providing equipment for daily living and non-medical needs for disabled children. Equipment for children is usually free of charge. If you would like support or assistance for your disabled child, or to make a referral to the ‘Childrens with Disabilities’ team, Telephone 01733 864180, or Visit

  • Whizz-Kidz

    Whizz Kidz is a registered charity supplying mobility equipment across the UK and supporting young wheelchair users through skills training, clubs and employability. Telephone 020 7233 6600, or Visit

Contact Information

Children with Disabilities Team:

01733 864180


020 7233 6600

Equipment Support Organisations

Buying Your Own Equipment

When buying specialist equipment, it is advisable to seek advice and try equipment before purchase.
  • Local Suppliers

    There are 3 local disability aid shops stocking a range of nursing supplies and disability equipment.

    Bentley Nursing Supplies – Unit 2 Benedict Square, Werrington Industrial PE4 6GD. Telephone 01733 555838

    The Mobility Aids Centre – 88 South Street, Stanground PE2 8EZ. Telephone 01733 342242

    Mobility Your Way – PE1 Retail Park, Eye Road, Nr Eye PE1 4YZ. Telephone 01733 511104

  • Boots

    Boots have a small stock of aids and equipment, along with a mail order catalogue. Telephone 01733 312211, or Visit

  • VAT Exemption

    If you are disabled you will usually need to pay VAT on purchases but there are exceptions. VAT relief may be available if you are buying goods because of your disability, the guidance from HMRC explains:

    • How VAT relief works
    • Which goods can be bought VAT-free
    • What HMRC means by ‘disabled’ and who qualifies for VAT-free goods
    • How to prove that you qualify for VAT-free goods
    • What to do if you think you’ve paid too much VAT
    • How to contact HMRC for more information

    For more information Visit

    For a copy of the declaration form for VAT relief Visit

    For a copy of the VAT relief manual Visit

More Information

Skip to content