David Wait, the manager of the Serpentine Green shopping centre in Peterborough, is a shadow of the man he used to be and he is not even half way through the incredible challenges that he has set himself, to raise money for local charity, Disability Peterborough.
Next week he flies to Nepal to complete the fourth of his eight challenges – climbing a 21,000 foot tall mountain! He will be travelling in a new pair of trousers too, having lost eight inches from his waistline since the end of March, when he began training
David has already completed the National 3 Peaks Challenge – Climbing Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon in 23 hours!
He has also faced his biggest fear, undertaking a 12,000 feet parachute jump and taken part in a 100KM race across the south coast of England – a race which took him 16 hours to complete!
David is putting his body through hell to raise money for local charity, Disability Peterborough, taking on eight incredible challenges, all over the world and self-funding it too, to ensure every penny he raises goes to the charity.
David says, “I am doing these challenges to raise funds for a fantastic local charity, Disability Peterborough. My original target was £10,000 but I have already recieved pledges of £16,000 and now I am aiming to raise at least £25,000.
I’ve always set myself at least one big challenge a year but this is by far the most gruelling and intense thing I have ever done, with each challenge testing me in a different way.
Training six hours a day, sometimes twice a day has been tough and the injuries have been difficult to bear but it is all for a great cause – Disability Peterborough needs help so that it can continue to offer a variety of specialist support and programs to assist thousands of local people with disabilities in the city.”
Waity’s ‘Monster Challenges’ are;
- 5th July 2018 – The National 3 Peaks Challenge – Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon in 24hrs)
- 29th July 2018 – Parachute Jump
- 25th August 2018 – 100km South Coast Challenge
STILL TO COME
- 1st October 2018 – Climb Island Peak – 21,000ft in the Himalaya’s
- 1st December 2018 – Half Marathon De Sables – 120Km across the hills/mountains of Peru
- 5th January 2019 – Fan Dance – 48km trek over Pen-Y-Fan (it’s normally 24km but I’m doing it twice) that is used as part of the SAS selection
- 3rd February 2019 – 66 Miles – North Downs Pilgrim Challenge
- 5th April 2019 – Full Marathon De Sables – 250(ish)Km across the Sahara
This is the link to David’s donation page; https://localgiving.org/fundraising/waitysmonsterchallenges/
Radio interviews and filming opportunities with David can be arranged by calling him on 07794 773228.
A link to David’s latest film is included here; https://youtu.be/wVweMyacJmU
There is also a 17 sec audio clip included for news bulletins. Everything is copyright free and can be used as you see fit.
Ps media is donating it’s time and services for free in order to help David raise as much money as possible for a fantastic Peterborough charity.