Peterborough Community Assistance Scheme  (PCAS)                                                   From 1 April 2013, the Social Fund and Crisis Loans will cease. This means that the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) will no longer be providing money to deal with emergency situations. A scheme is being established to support people facing hardship and requiring urgent assistance; this is called the Peterborough Community Assistance Scheme (PCAS).

What is the scheme?                                                                                                          

Peterborough Community Assistance Scheme (PCAS) can help people going through unexpected difficulties who require urgent assistance. The scheme aims to help you meet your basic needs as quickly as possible and will provide you with the support and advice to help you avoid similar problems in the future.

What help is available?                        We can help you in the following ways:

  • By providing emergency food
  • By providing emergency furniture or other basic needs such as clothing, toys or household items
  • One off emergency heating or lighting payment
  • Emergency white goods
  • Debt advice
  • Helping you to manage your money better
  • Banking and saving with Rainbow Savers Credit Union
  • Housing and employment advice

Who can the scheme help?

The Peterborough Community Assistance scheme criteria;

  • You must be over 16 years of age
  • You must be on means tested benefits
  • You must be facing hardship or dealing with an emergency situation
  • You must live or be registered for council tax in the Peterborough council area

If you are not in receipt of benefit payments, we may still be able to help you if you are experiencing exceptional difficulties

If you are provided with help and support through PCAS, please be aware that we will share your information with other partner agencies in order to signpost you to the appropriate organisations for further long term support.

Where do I go for help?

For advice around debt, housing, employment or for emergency energy or electrical appliances, please contact the Citizens Advice Bureau on: 03444994120 or in person at:16-17 St Marks Street, Peterborough, PE1 2TU.

Emergency food and furniture are provided through a voucher system issued by a number of different agencies in the city. Please contact one of the agencies listed below, where an advisor will help you with your individual needs.

Who can help with referrals for emergency food and furniture?

Please contact the relevant landlord below;

Cross Keys Homes   01733 385000

Accent Nene Housing   01733 295400 

Axiom Housing  01733 347135

Other Advice

Citizens Advice Bureau    0344499120

Peterborough City Council   01733747474

British Red Cross   01780480599

Aspire Drug Treatment Service   0800 1114354

Drinksense  01733555532

Women’s Aid   01733894455

For help with debt or housing advice or to discuss emergency energy payments or electrical appliances please contact:

Citizens Advice Bureau 0844 4994120   or  01733293203

Other useful contacts

Advice and support for people with mental health issues.  01733758211

Advice and support for people with physical disabilities.

Dial Peterborough – 01733265551

Advice and support for people aged over 60

Age UK – 01733564185

An agency which assists disabled, aged and vulnerable people to access funding for work in their home.

Care and Repair 01733863895

For information on job seekers allowance and other benefits.

Department for Work and Pensions – 0845 6088603


Food vouchers

Emergency food is provided through a voucher system issued by a number of different agencies in the city.

Referral Agencies

if a client wishes to visit a centre to receive food they must first receive a voucher from one of our registered agencies:

  • Axiom
  • Accent Nene
  • Aspire
  • British Red Cross
  • Care Zone
  • Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Cross Keys Homes
  • DIAL/Disability Peterborough
  • Drinksense
  • Job Centre Plus
  • PCC Housing Needs
  • Peterborough Women’s Aid
  • Safer Peterborough Partnership

Distribution Centres

  • Stanground Baptist Church – Tuesdays from 12.30pm – 2pm
  • Dogsthorpe Methodist Church – Tuesdays and Fridays from 12.30pm – 2.30pm
  • Paston, Honeyhill Community Centre – Wednesday 10.30am – 12.30pm
  • Gunthorpe, Open Doors Centre – Thursday 12.30pm – 3pm
  • Westgate Church – Saturdays 12.30pm – 2.30pm
  • Bretton, Holy Spirit Church – Tuesdays 10am – 12pm
    Tel: 01733 311156


Download the PDF file .

Download Link – Housing – Housing Benefit – Welfare Reform – PCAS – Can We Help