Disability Advice & Information in Peterborough

← Back to Money & Benefits

DEBT Advice

Christians Against Poverty (CAP) is a national debt counselling charity with a network of 72 centres based in local churches. You do NOT need to be a Christian to use this service. After you call CAP, a Debt Advisor and Support Worker from the local CAP Centre will visit you in your own home. A realistic budget is then worked out at CAP HQ by prioritising your essential bills, negotiating affordable payments with each creditor and stopping unfair interest and charges where possible.

The local Debt Advisor will then visit you again to explain the budget and the payments you will need to make. A CAP Account is then set up for you. This acts like a simple bank account. You will need to make one weekly or monthly payment into your account to cover all of your bills and debts. CAP will then distribute this on your behalf. You can also make savings in your CAP Account.
If you are in severe debt then they can walk you through insolvency, like petitioning for bankruptcy. They can help you to fill out the forms and even attend court with you. You will use your CAP Account to pay your bills and debt repayments and you will be supported by a team at CAP HQ until you are debt free. You may keep your CAP Account even after you are debt free. Tel: 01274 760720

National Debtline is a national telephone helpline for people with debt problems in England, Wales and Scotland. The service is free, confidential and independent. They are committed to answering your call and then discussing your debt problems with you and the options available to you. The specialist advice that they give over the telephone is backed up with written self-help materials which they can send out to you for free. If your circumstances meet certain criteria, they can assist in setting up a Debt Management Plan for you, at no cost. Tel: 0808 8084000

Welfare Benefits

Finding help in Peterborough

The area of welfare benefits is always going to be a difficult advice topic to navigate. The benefit laws are both complex and complicated. DIAL Peterborough would always advocate seeking specialist advice before applying for any benefits. The agencies below can offer some help, phone for details:

DIAL Peterborough (physical disability) 01733 265551

CAB (general) 01733 558383

Peterborough Age UK  (over age 55) 01733 564185

PCVS (learning disability) 01733 342654

Peterborough & Fenland MIND (mental health) 01733 530651

Peterborough City Council (appeal work only) 01733 296337

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

This is a benefit you can get if you need help getting around and/or looking after yourself. You must claim before you reach age 65. It does not cover things like housework, shopping or using public transport.

In the claim form you need to describe your difficulties with personal care and getting around. We strongly advise contacting one of the agencies listed above for help with filling in the form . The claim form will take around 2 hours to complete.

The benefit is not based on your income or national insurance contributions and will never harm any benefits you already claim. If you get DLA before the age of 65 it can continue after this age.

Attendance Allowance (AA)

This is a benefit for people aged 65 or over and who do not already receive DLA or PIP. It is based upon the personal care needs that you have. It doesn’t matter if you do not actually get any help with personal care, as it is the help you need not the help you get. Attendance Allowance does not have a separate mobility component.

In the claim form you need to describe your difficulties with personal care. We strongly advise contacting one of the agencies listed above for help with the form.The claim form will take around one hour to complete.

Like DLA or PIP above it is not for help with housework, gardening or shopping, however if Attendance Allowance is awarded you can spend the money as you choose. The benefit is not based on your income or national insurance contributions, is not taxable and will never harm any benefits you already receive.

Forms can be obtained from Benefit Enquiry Line 08457 123456

NB If you are awarded AA, PIP, or DLA we recommend that you have a full benefits check as you or your family/carer may be entitled to additional benefits.