Disability Advice & Information in Peterborough

← Back to House and Home

House and home gives information on how to get help finding or adapting your home to meet your particular needs.

The chapter also gives advice on accessing other housing and home related services and support available for disabled people.


Whether you are an owner-occupier or a tenant, your disability might mean that your current accommodation is no longer suitable. If you own your property you might consider selling it and buying something more suitable. A relocation grant can be considered for this purpose. As a tenant you might wish to transfer to another property more appropriate to your needs. Many people prefer to remain in their own home and consider how it can be adapted to meet their needs. Below we outline the options available.

Specialist Housing Advice

If you are experiencing housing problems relating to homelessness, eviction, repossession or repairs and bad housing condition then it is essential to try and sort out the situation early, leaving problems can make matters worse. Peterborough residents can contact:

Peterborough Citizens Advice Bureau has a specialist Community Legal Services contract in Housing Advice. CAB provides free, confidential advice and representation for clients at rent and mortgage possession hearings at the County Court and advice on related housing issues, such as disrepair, illegal eviction and nuisance issues.

Tel  03444994120

Floating Support Service is a free service for people in the greater Peterborough area who need housing related advice and support. Support workers offer home visits to provide support with housing issues from benefits advice to prevention of homelessness.
For more information on this service, please call us on
(freephone) 0808 169 8099 or email CPFSS@p3charity.org.

Shelter offers advice and advocacy, representation at court where appropriate. Priority Casework: Homelessness, Mortgage Possession Action, Landlord Possession Action, Homelessness Reviews, and Threatened Illegal Eviction

Tel: 0844 515 1860 (Regional Service)

Peterborough City Council Housing Options Department provides free and confidential advice on all Housing issues ranging from joining the housing register, looking for private property through to losing your accommodation. Telephone 01733 864064

Alterations to Your Home

If you have problems around your home e.g. difficulty climbing the stairs, getting into the bath, or using certain rooms you are entitled to an assessment of your needs.

The duty to assess your individual needs with regard to your home lies with Peterborough Adult Social Care. Tel 01733 747474.
No matter whether you are an owner-occupier or a tenant of a Housing Association, or a private landlord. Peterborough Adult Social Care specific responsibility is to identify assess and advise on your needs. Having agreed these needs with you, Peterborough Adult Social Care undertake to provide equipment, which will meet your needs; some items may have to be purchased.

If minor structural alterations are required, such as the provision of hand-rails, Peterborough Adult Social Care will arrange to have these carried out through Care and Repair for owner-occupiers and by the appropriate landlord for tenants. These alterations might be carried out without charge. Tel: 01733 863895

For more extensive structural work such as ramps and stairlifts, or the addition of extra rooms, you will need to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant, this is a means tested grant. You will need to complete a physically disabled registration form. Peterborough Adult Social Care  will  assess your needs, this will be done by an Occupational Therapist, who will then make the request for the grant and type of adaptation required to meet your needs.

Care and Repair will carry out a financial assessment to find out if you have any contribution to make towards the cost of the work. They will also contract the work on your behalf. Work cannot commence before you get grant approval.

Tel: 01733 863895

Peterborough City Council Housing Options team is made up of Housing Options Officers and the Housing Support Team. Between them they deliver a wide range of services to people with housing needs throughout Peterborough.

They assess client’s needs for re-housing, give advice on options available and can assist with access to various types of accommodation. Disabled people can request home visits from the team Tel: 01733 864064

The Peterborough Homes Service operates a single housing register of homes owned by a number Peterborough-based housing associations and is administered by the city council’s Housing Options team. It permits home-seekers and those who want to move to another property to submit bids for available accommodation.

The initiative means that home-seekers need apply to a single housing register to express an interest in properties. Available homes are advertised each week in the Peterborough Homes advertisement, which appears in the Thurday edition of the Peterborough Evening Telegraph, on the Peterborough Homes’ website http://www.peterborough-homes.com/ in Housing Options, Sand Martin House, Bittern Way, Fletton Quays, all city council-run libraries as well as a wide range of other organisations. Interested people make ‘bids’ by telephone, fax, email or online.

Once bids are received by the Housing Options team they are prioritised according to individual needs and those with the highest priority are allowed to view prospective properties before a final decision is made.
Housing Associations are non-profit making, voluntary organisations that cater for people on low incomes and those with special needs, such as people with disabilities. They have various types of new and converted property available for rent and some of this may have been designed or adapted for use by disabled people. You can apply direct to an Association but most applications are dealt with through the Peterborough City Council Housing Options scheme. All applications for housing association properties which belong to Nene, Minster, Cross Keys Homes, Muir Group, BPHA, ECHG, Circle Anglia, Longhurst Homes, Home and Axiom are dealt with through Housing Options.

Housing Association List
Accent Nene Ltd
57 Lincoln Road Peterborough PE1 2RR

01733 295400

Anchor Trust
Millfield Court, Peterborough PE1 3BZ
Axiom Housing Association
Axiom House, Peterborough PE1 2SZ
Cross Keys Homes
Shrewsbury Ave, Peterborough, PE2 7BZ
Hanover Housing Association
30 Hanover Court, Peterborough, PE3 8JU
Housing 21, Bishopsfield, Peterborough, PE4 6WD
Minster General Ltd, 93 Lincoln Rd, Peterborough, PE1 2SN
01733 349800
Wherry Ltd, Bushfield Court, Peterborough, PE2 5RJ

House Exchange

Tenants who wish to transfer properties within Peterborough should phone Housing Options on 01733 747474, they may also be able to put you in touch with national house swap schemes. Many house exchange organisations are available on the web.

Sheltered Accommodation provides independent living with the added security of scheme managers available to help with emergencies, and to offer practical assistance where possible. Most sheltered scheme properties are available to people who are of retirement age, however sometimes Housing Associations will consider people who are younger for their schemes. When sheltered schemes are advertised through the Choice Based Letting Scheme, it should state how old you need to be to be considered as a tenant.

Housing Options occasionally has first floor sheltered properties or sheltered bed-sits which are less popular and therefore more difficult to let. If you are interested in discussing these properties please contact

a Housing Support Officer on 01733 864064

Utilities Gas/Electricity/Water

All utility companies as service providers are required by law to make reasonable adjustments to their services for disabled people. If you require any alterations, for example a copy of your bill in Braille or want to know your provider offers disabled people, get in touch with your company direct. Many providers also offer special discount schemes for disabled people and low user tariffs. Ask your company what they provide and consider swapping providers if they do not offer any enhanced facilities. Winter Fuel Payment is a one-off payment to help older people (over 60) with their winter heating bills.

You should get your payment automatically if:

• you are aged 60 or over and getting a social security benefit

• you got a payment last winter , as long as your circumstances have not changed.

The Winter Fuel Payment Helpline is open from 8.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.

You should have your National Insurance number ready when you call. As a result of pensions reform the minimum age at which both men and women will be able to receive a Winter Fuel Payment will rise incrementally to pension age between 2010 and 2020. Tel: 08459 151515

Energy Saving Trust Advice Centre Anglia, can give advice on reducing your carbon footprint by using renewable energy and minimising domestic energy. They have information on disability discount schemes and can help you to swap energy providers. They also give advice on possible sources of grant funding available to disabled people. Tel: 0800 512012

Warm Front can help make homes warmer, healthier and more energy-efficient. The Warm Front Grant provides a package of insulation and heating improvements up to the value of £2,700 (or £4,000 if oil central heating is recommended). If you own your own home or rent it from a private landlord, you may be eligible for a grant under the Warm Front Scheme. Tel: 0800 3162805

Cold Weather Payment will help you with extra heating costs during very cold weather in your area. You may be eligible for a Cold Weather Payment for each week of very cold weather in your area if you get Pension Credit. You may also be eligible for a Cold Weather Payment for each qualifying week if you are getting Income Support or income-based Job seeker’s Allowance and have a child under five or get one of the following:

  • A pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium
  • A disability premium or severe disability premium
  • A disabled child premium
  • Child Tax Credit that includes an individual element for a child or qualifying young person who is disabled or severely disabled

You will receive £8.50 when the average temperature where you live is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below, over seven consecutive days during the period from 1 November to 31 March. You don’t need to apply you will get a Cold Weather Payment automatically as long as you qualify. Tell your pension centre or Job centre Plus if you think you should have received a Cold Weather Payment but you have not had one.

SOFA sells good quality second-hand equipment and furniture for your home. If you are on a means tested benefit you will need to take a letter from the Benefit Agency and a utility bill before you receive any discount on your purchases. Any member of the public can buy from SOFA.

Hours of opening Monday to Thursday 9:00 until 2:30 Friday 9:00 until 1:30

Tel: 01733 232383


Whilst housework is important and sometimes difficult to carry out by disabled people, no scheme exists to offer assistance. The yellow pages have lists of private cleaning companies and it is worth checking the advertisements in local shop windows for individual cleaners offering services. Housework is not taken into consideration for Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment  or Attendance Allowance purposes.

Minor Repairs/Maintenance Disabled

Elderly and vulnerable residents who need some help with small jobs and repairs around the home can contact Peterborough City Council Handyperson scheme (run by Care and Repair). The scheme arranges for volunteers to help with a wide range of minor tasks, such as putting up shelves and curtain rails or small plumbing and electrical jobs the list is quite extensive. The service is free of charge, although residents are expected to supply or pay for the materials used. Tel: 01733 863860


TV Licence If you’re 75 or over you’re entitled to a free television licence.The government funded, free over 75 TV Licence scheme is being replaced on 1 June 2020.  You can also get TV licence concessions if you’re registered blind or if you live in nursing or residential care or in sheltered accommodation. To find out more information call TV Licensing on  0300 790 6071