Finding Safe Traders
At Disability Peterborough we are often asked for details of traders like plumbers, electricians and glaziers and tilers who have been vetted and are trustworthy to carry out jobs in disabled or vulnerable people’s homes.
One site called Safe Local Trades offers just this service. Approved membership is limited and only granted to those trades people who have been highly recommended by the general public and businesses, have successfully passed a vetting process and agree to uphold safe local trades service charter. Jobs they undertake are rated by the customer; the ratings are monitored regularly and published on the website helping to ensure that the trades person will take extra care that you are happy with the job they do, as positive ratings will help them grow their business.
Consumers generally do not ask to see verification of tradesmen, nor do they ask to see their liability insurance or relevant qualifications. The following checks are carried out by Safe Local Trades helping to ensure that traders are both professional and trustworthy
- Interviewed in person
- DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) checked
- Photo and address identification (e.g., drivers licence)
- Proof of membership to any Trade Association
- Proof of qualifications (where applicable)
- Proof of statutory qualifications required by law (e.g., Gas Safe Registered, Part P, etc)
- Certificate of Public Liability Insurance and Employers Insurance if applicable
- Certificate of Incorporation for Limited Companies and credit checked
- UTR (Unique Tax Reference) verification for Sole Traders to ensure HMRC registered
- Certificate of VAT registration document (if applicable)
- References taken from up to five previous customers
The website www.safelocaltrades.com offers search facilities to enable you to find a tradesman in your local area that has gone through the vetting process. In most cases you will be able to read feedback given by other people who have used the service. A star rating system is in operation and you will be able to leave your own comments and feedback when the work is completed.
Allia Future Business Centre
Tel: 0800 0141832